Operations and Finance Coordinator
Colaborativa La Milpa is a collaborative based in the Emma community of Buncombe County, NC whose mission is to activate, build capacity, and support community-based organizations to ensure their impact and sustainability. Our vision is healthy, united, and flourishing communities that honor origins, identities, and power. The current member organizations of La Milpa are PODER Emma Community Ownership, Compañeros Inmigrantes de las Montañas en Acción (CIMA), Raíces Emma – Erwin, and Mä hñakihu: Indigenous Language Preservation Project.
Colaborativa La Milpa creates a model for sharing organizational infrastructure so more energy can go directly to our member organizations’ programs, and for combining efforts to avoid duplicating work. We come together to break patterns of isolation, build community, work in solidarity, and collaboration for collective impact rather than competition.
As a growing organization, we are seeking to build our organization’s capacity through hiring a passionate, highly motivated, and justice-oriented team player who loves systems, people, and supporting organizations through change.
The Operations and Finance Coordinator is responsible for organizational operations, administration of human resources policies and systems, nonprofit compliance, and financial management for Colaborativa La Milpa and its member organizations. This new position will work collaboratively across all the decision-making bodies including the Director’s Council and the Board of Directors, and staff positions. This position will supervise the Operations Specialist and occasional contractors.
- Supervision of the Operations Specialist using the Coaching Supervision methodology and tools that will help foster an environment of growth and success while developing their roles and responsibilities.
- Responsible for the implementation and development of the organization’s financial policies, procedures, and establishing compliance controls.
- As needed conduct periodic reviews of existing financial policies and suggest and develop new and required procedures in coordination with the Director’s Council.
- In coordination with the Bookkeeping Team (Power In Numbers) will receive and verify expense reports; reconcile expense and other financial reports with account balances and other office records including co-managing budgets through the use of Open Book financial management.
- Facilitates payment of vendors, which may include verification of federal ID numbers, reviewing purchase orders, and resolving discrepancies.
- Collaborate with the Bookkeeping and Accounting Team on financial audits, annual 990 reports, and maintaining accurate financial records.
- Schedule, facilitate, and represent the organization during board meetings on a quarterly basis by presenting financial information and providing organizational updates.
- Compiles necessary information for grant applications and reports through collaboration with the Grants Coordinator as needed.
- Reviews budget reports, and oversees all bank activity including but not limited to bank deposits, cash receipts, check ordering, and other banking needs.
- Facilitates management of office equipment including cleaning, maintenance, and repairs with Operations Specialist.
- Serve as liaison between various legal and HR consultants and the Board of Directors on assessing and determining legal compliance needs for audits or other legal issues.
- Provides clerical support when needed to assist Operations Specialist with assigned administrative duties such as answering phones, sorting and distributing mail, and preparing documents.
- Support the organization in its efforts of implementing Human Resources policies and practices and suggest any additional procedures as needed.
- COVID-19 support – Serve as the first point of contact for staff to help coordinate with the community nurse, ensure compliance with county mandates, assist staff with accessing testing sites, contact training and update policies as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Experience with supervision including ability to lead, support, and accompany staff in building and implementing work plans.
- Flexible approach to work and comfortable working within flexible, changing, and developing processes and structures.
- Preferred Bilingual in English and Spanish, but not required.
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- At least two years of administrative experience required;
- Ideally the incumbent will possess at least one year of experience in the non-profit sector, but is not required.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
This is a 25-30 hour per week, in-office (not remote) position. The salary will be $25 per hour. Benefits include a flexible schedule, generous PTO, flex time, and 5% of paid time to engage in self-care activities.
Please send a resume and answers to the questions below to email@example.com. Position open until filled.
1.) Your name and contact information 2.) Your non-profit experience and/or any other relevant experience that makes you a good fit for this position. 3.) What about La Milpa and our member organizations excite you?
Colaborativa La Milpa provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.